Tuesday 17 September 2019

Lesson on September 17.

Part 1. Conversational English-3.

One day in December I was going  down  Pasichna  street heading toward Dormitory # 4. Near the dorm I bumped into Valentyn who was heading to the tram stop near Lychakivskiy park.
I was caught by surprise.  I didn’t expect to run into Valentyn in this part of the city.
-Hey, Val ,  how’re you doing?  It’s a surprise to run into you here.  Why are you hanging around in this part of the city?
-Hi, hey. Oh, that’s pretty simple.  I’m living around here.
-You’re living around In this area?  I guess you live in Hertzena  street. You didn’t leave me your address.
-Oh, it’s my fault.. I’m sorry. Sasha is the one who  lives in Hertzena street.  By the way,  we are running a party on Sunday.  If you wanna hang out with us…join in!
-Oh. Thank you. I’d be glad to hang out with you guys.  Are Sasha and Kostya going to turn up?
-Yeah, they are coming 100 % sure.  Come along/over at 7. Here is my address. Now I’m sorry. I gotta go. Have meeting in center in 30 minutes. Am out of time.
-Sure, thank you for inviting me.  See you on Sunday,  then
-Never mind.  Take care.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He was doing his best to hook up a girl in the club but his plan didn’t work out.
He was coming up to the girls trying to chat them up but they told him to back off.
He couldn’t make why they turned him down, but it was clear that he had to think up of something new.  Maybe work out a bit.



Part 2. Grammar. Past Perfect Tense.


Результат пошуку зображень за запитом "Past Perfect"


When I came home yesterday I saw my wife cooking the dinner( supper).  And I got a little angry because I was a little hungry.  I supposed that she had already cooked the dinner. 

I asked her why she had not finished her cooking  yet.   She replied that she had come home late today.  


Valentyn was calling me all the day yesterday.  By the evening he had called me more than 10 times.
On Sunday Diana had done all her  homework by  16:00 because at 16:00 they went to circus.

Are you still working on this project?
No, we had finished it by beginning of September.



Part 3.  Vocabulary. Medical Vocabulary( Revision)


Результат пошуку зображень за запитом "Medical vocabulary"


Exercise.  Answer the following questions, pls. 


1) What is this?  What do they do with this thing?
Результат пошуку зображень за запитом "a syringe"

2) Is it the result of  an x-ray or an ultrasound diagnostics?
Результат пошуку зображень за запитом "x-ray"


3) Have you ever done MRI( magnetic resonanse imaging)? Was it expensive?

4) Do you have a first aid kit at home?

5) Do you know how to call an  ambulance?

6) A patient is a person who.......

7) What is the difference between a doctor and a nurse?

8)  When my head aches I have a ..... When my stomach aches I have a ....

9) Fevercoughrunny nose and a sore throat are the  symptoms of ..... or......

10) How do you usually treat cold?( what do you do to get rid of it?)

11)  Do you think that  pills/tablets effective medicine? Do you belive in folk medicine?

12) Are the words "ache" and "hurt", the synonyms?



Part 4. Grammar. Articles in English. 

1)     Вживання неозначеного артикля a/an



Неозначений артикль а/an -походить від слова one-один.

1)     з злічувальними іменниками в однині
В англійській мові злічувальний іменник в однині має вживатися з неозначеним артиклем

a house, a friend, a bag, a student, a table

Це граматичне явище часто  проявляється в ситуаціях з дієсловом to be( am, is, are, was, were) This is a house.  This is a bag.  I am a student. He is a doctor.  

Також воно помітно в ситуаціях з дієсловом to have:  I have a friend. She has a house. They have a shop.

Оскільки неозначений артикль вживається  тільки перед злічувальними іменниками і тільки в однині, і крім того існує багато ситуацій коли артиклі вживати взагалі не треба - то неозначений артикль в англійських реченнях зустрічається не дуже часто .
Неозначений  артикль також вживається:

2) замість слова one
I will be back in an hour
He will come in a day.
We could stay in London for only a day

3) В усталених виразах

a few – трошкидекілька--I have a few mandarins in my bag
a little – трошкинебагато-I have a little money today
a lot of – багато-Ukraine has a lot of problems in economy 
a number of - деяка кількість-I have a number of friends in Kiyv
for a long / short time – протягом тривалого / короткого часу
in a hurry –  квапливо-I am always in a hurry in the morning
to go for a walk – піти на прогулянку- I like to go for a walk to Pohulyanka park.



Артиклі не вживаються коли перед іменником стоїть:

1)     Присвійний займенник (мій, твій, його, її ...).
2)     Вказівний займенник (this, that, those, there)
3)     Займенники (some, any, no, every)
4)     Кількісний числівник (один, два, три ....)
5)     Іменник у  присвійний відмінку (Sergіy's pen)